Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Invasive orchid resurgence in Charlotte County


Beginning in 2012, we started spotting a curious invasive orchid known as “The Beautiful Crown Orchid" popping up all over our landscapes in mulched beds.  While it seemed to be declining in some areas, I have seen a recent resurgence of this weedy plant at other sites.  Despite its name, this invasive orchid is not that attractive and is in fact rather drab. Why couldn’t Charlotte County be invaded by something like a beautiful cattleya orchid!  The educated gardener should be aware of what it looks like and become familiar with some interesting background information.

This orchid is botanically identified as Eulophia graminea, a type of ground orchid.  Native to tropical and subtropical parts of Asia where it can be found in a variety of habitats, this orchid first showed up in Miami in 2007, probably as a result of an escape from an orchid collector, and then in 2011 in Lee County.  This ground orchid appears to favor mulched landscape beds in sunny locations.  While many of the ones that I have seen in Charlotte County have been associated with mulched beds, some have been seen in natural areas.   At first glance, you would think that it was a relative of the Amaryllis or even an onion as it has a thick bulb-like base.   The short, lily-like leaves almost remind me of daylily leaves.  However, if you look closer you will notice that the bulb is actually what is called a pseudobulb, a storage organ, often associated with orchids.  From this pseudobulb (which often sticks partway out of the mulch), appear up to five short, strap-like leaves.  At maturity this orchid produces a long shoot (up to several feet tall) with a cluster of very small flowers.  The flowers  –  white with pink and green in color –  are followed by seed pods full of tiny seeds.


Orchids reproduce via minute, dust-like seeds that can travel in the wind, as well as from orchid plant parts, the pseudobulbs.  This is probably how they have spread through our area.  Information on this orchid also indicates that it can tolerate fairly cool temperatures and is likely to continue moving north.  If you see one of these orchids, pull it up and destroy it to keep it from spreading.  We can certainly help you identify it at our office or simply send me a digital photo to my e-mail address:   Ralph.Mitchell@charlottecountyfl.gov.


Invasive pests – whether plants, insects, or other similar organisms – seem to be a fact of life here in Florida.  Vigilance is part of the management strategy so that offending individuals such as this ground orchid can be controlled at least on your own property.  For more information on all types of invasive plants and animals, please call our Master Gardener volunteers on the Plant Lifeline on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 1 to 4 pm at 764-4340 for gardening help and insight into their role as an Extension volunteer.  Don't forget to visit our other County Plant Clinics in the area.  Please check this link for a complete list of site locations, dates and times - http://charlotte.ifas.ufl.edu/horticulture/Plant%20Clinics%20Schedule.pdf.

Resources:
Brown, S. H., Becker, T. & Cruz, P. (2012) Eulophia graminea a Potentially Invasive Ground Orchid.  The University of Florida Extension Service - Lee County. 
EDDMapS Floridahttp://www.eddmaps.org/distribution/point.cfm?id=2482748 – Submission by Culbert, D., UF/IFAS Okeechobee Extension Service.
Hammer, R. 17360 Avocado Drive, Homestead  FL  33030 – Personal Communication.
Pemberton, B. & Koptur, S. A Newly Naturalized Orchid Found in Florida. June 2008. American Orchid Society, Coral Gables.
Pemberton, B., et al. Alien Terrestrial Orchid, Eulophia Graminea, Invades Miami.

Weaver, R.E. and Anderson, P.J. 2009. Botany Section. Tri-Ology. FDACS, Tallahassee, Florida

22 comments:

  1. we have had several pop up in jupiter farms--but i don't find them at all drab, nor do i plan to destroy them. likely they've been deposited by the various birds that frequent our yard -as has been the natural course of seed dispersion

    ReplyDelete
  2. St. Petersburg, FL -- Discovered three in Asian red mulch in April 2018 and one growing in neighbor's sandy yard. I've been removing the seed pods since being told it is invasive. But -- there are two thoughts on this -- some say it is, some it isn't. Lovely small orchid flower and orchid buffs have told me to keep it. Pods are filled with hundreds of fluffy wispy seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered 4 of these randomly pop up in my mulch. I’m in east Fort Lauderdale. How crazy. I’m still undetermined as to whether I feel like pulling them up or not

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found 9 of these at the base of a clusia shrub growing out of my mulch. I think they are delicate and lovely and may pot them. Thanks for helping me identify them but I definitely won’t get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found one years ago in my mulch dug it up put it in a pot n I have yet to see a seed pod or any volunteers in my yard.so I'm not pulling or destroying it.anything that has seeds can be invasive just pull up where ya don't want it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Removing one of these plants is not that easy as "just pull it up". It's hard work. The bulbs get tangled in roots and sometimes grow very deep into the ground before the first bit of greenery emerges at the surface. They have lots of little nodes that fall off the bulbs and then, after all that work to remove it, the plant grows back. If u let it seed, the plants will take over your yard.

      Delete
  6. Found one in a much pile on my property in West Stuart.
    Thank you so much for the helpful information!

    P.s. Ann needs to remove this plant lol
    #exoticinvasiveremoval

    ReplyDelete
  7. This wild orchid is actually very nice lots in Miami, will be spreading the seeds off my balcony

    ReplyDelete
  8. These little orchids are all over the place in Miami Lakes (South Florida 33014) I was walking and noticed the bulb and stems growing out of it with tiny orchids they were growing on dirt and many growing in mulch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. September 2020. Found a bunch of them in donated mulch at a butterfly garden in Sarasota County. We are pulling and bagging them for burning, because they clump so tightly that nothing else can grow. One source says that although many people think they may come from unregulated mulch, they may just be seeding. It is difficult to get all the nodules out of the ground, but important, or they will take over. Don't let it spread if you can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had 3 bulbs pop up in my garden in Ruskin, FL. been trying to figure out what it was and finally it flowered and so confirmed it is this wild orchid. flowers are small but quite attractive. not sure what to do

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found two growing in my yard in Merrit Island (Brevard County)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live in the Keys and have 10-15 in various heights

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like orchids. There are many invasive plants that have been introduced to Florida but just because it is not a "local" doesn't mean it is harmful or aggressively invasive to the point of crowding out native orchids. If I find one, I will observe it, then decide if it is doing harm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand it is not native to our area. What I do not understand is in which way is this plant a threat to our fauna/flora?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just now found one in my St Cloud (Osceola Co) yard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found one in Houston, TX (in mulched bed). I thought it was pretty but said it is invasive. So, I tried to pull it up but not sure if I got everything out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just came across your site which confirmed that what I have in my mulch in Safety Harbor is indeed Eulophia. At least Google Lens was correct this time. I first noticed them maybe 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If they get into your lawn, the bulbs will spread and grow so close together that they will kill and crowd out your grass..... i have found they are resistant to roundup. Also, if i pull them out, and miss just one little root nodule, then it starts growing back again. I didn't take action fast enough when i first noticed them in my yard, and wow i wish i had. They spread and choke out everything around them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Port Charlotte,FL
    Over the past 2 months, these have popped up in my raised garden. Very random spots.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good post, thank you for the great article I am really extremely glad to visit your blog. customer relationship management in erp

    ReplyDelete